Project definition and goals
Attero wanted to carry out work at its Moerdijk site to improve turnaround (TA) management, coordination and the actual process. The aim was to reduce:
- The number of unplanned stops
- The throughput time of a TA
- The costs of a TA
During May and June 2014, PDM made an analysis based on three angles of approach, focusing on:
- Asset management
- Turnaround management
- General management and organisation
The analysis was done using interviews, workshops and desk research. A ‘Hands on Tool Time’ measurement was also done for the TA activities being carried out on lines 3 and 4 at the time.
PDM drew up fifteen concrete recommendations, of which the following five were the core:
- Improve the quality of the scoping process
- Improve the quality of the QA/QC process and the way it is organised
- Improve the quality of the scheduling process
- Improve the productivity (Hands on Tool Time)
Management and organisation
- Intensify contract management and contractor management
The study generated a number of quick wins, including improvement of the scheduling, execution of the work, and the productivity. Two points requiring urgent attention were also highlighted: improvements in the work preparation process, and the possibilities for continuous improvement.
The key recommendations represent 90% of the overall potential for improvement. The underlying findings for each of the points for improvement have been recorded, along with recommendations, and linked to the operational objectives. The impact (in euros) was also quantified for each point.